This Solution provides instructions for Updating Big Business Server 5 for Windows. (5984)
Normally, it is best to change all the software on all computers to match. Big Business 5.0.7 Server and higher use the same database engine, though, so you only need to change the Server software if you are installing an update based on the same engine. Here's how:
1. Check the Cache setting you are currently using. Go to the BB Server Edit menu, to Preferences, choose Application, then System Resources and write down the Maximum Cache setting (65,536K by default).
2. Back up your Data File. The path to the current Data File can be read on the Big Business Server Process Window (may require enlarging the window and/or choosing Show Process Window from the Process menu) before you Quit. Backing up means making a copy of the file on removable media or another computer (i.e. outside the server computer).
3. Move your Data File to a safe location. If you Data File is stored in the Data folder in the current Big Business Server folder, move it to a convenient location like your Desktop so you can completely Remove the current Big Business Server folder. Your Data File is two parts: DataFile.4DD and DataFile.4DR.
4. Remove the current Big Business Server folder. Make sure the BB Server Engine is not running, then go Start, Settings, Control Panels and open Add/Remove Programs and Remove, Big Business Server.
5. Install the new Big Business Server. Click Explore This CD and find the Server5x folder or download, then run the bb5xxsvr.exe Installer and follow the prompts to install the new Big Business Server.
6. Move your Data File (two parts: .4dd and .4dr) to its regular location. In Step 3, if you moved your Data File from the Data folder to the Desktop, you can now move it from the Desktop to the Data folder in the new Big Business Server folder. Your Data File can be stored anywhere on the computer.
7. Start the new Big Business Server. Double-click the Shortcut on the Desktop or go Start, Programs, Big Business Server 5.x.x, and choose BB Server 5.x.x. In the Open Data File dialog select your Data File.
8. Reset the Cache. If the setting noted in Step 1 is higher than 65,536K, go to the BB Server Edit menu, to Preferences, choose Application, then System Resources and enter the Maximum Cache setting. Increase this setting only if you have plenty of RAM (1GB or more) and your Data File is bigger than 128MB. Do not use a setting higher than the size of your Data File or larger than 256MB (entered as 262,144K). Quit and restart Big Business Server if any change is needed.
Existing 5.0.7 or higher Clients should automatically connect to the new Big Business Server when launched. To update older Clients, use the Add/Remove Program Control Panel to Remove the old Client, then install the new Client(s). On the first launch you will need to select BB Server in the Connect to BB Server window.
If you (ever) get an error -10002 when launching the Client (if the IP address of the server has changed), re-launch BB Client and immediately hold down the Alt key to display the Connect to BB Server window again, and select BB Server.