Big Business includes support for encrypting all Client/Server connections. This feature is not as efficient as the common practice of securing the local network and encrytpting only wireless or remote users with Virtual Private Network (VPN) connections, but it is simple to enable and evaluate.
This Solution provides step-by-step instructions for Encrypting Client/Server Connections. (5983)
Big Business support encrypting all Client/Server connections. This feature is not as efficient as the common practice of securing the local network and encrypting only wireless or remote users with Virtual Private Network (VPN) connections. On the other hand, it ensures all Client/Server traffic is encrypted and is very simple to set up and evaluate.
To Encrypt Client/Server Connections:
1. In Big Business Server, select Preferences.
2. Select Client/Server, Publishing
3. Click the checkbox for Encrypt Client/Server Connections
4. Click OK to save changes
5. Restart Big Business Server
To Connect Clients:
6. Start Big Business Client and quickly hold down the Alt key (PC) or Option key (Mac) or wait for an error using the old connection
6. On the Connection to Server dialog go to the Available tab
7. Choose the Server, which should now have a ^ before its name.
To turn off Encryption, repeat this process, including using the Alt key on every client to point it to the changed server connection.
A. Slower computers will suffer longer delays encrypting and decrypting traffic. Use VPN or Tunnelling if you only want to encrypt select connections.
B. The ODBC/UPS Add-On is not compatible with encrypted connections.